Christian Easter Picture Books for Kids
Christian Easter picture books fill our book shelf weeks before the arrival of Easter. I keep our Easter picture books tucked away until the Easter season which helps fuel the excitement for our Easter. Generally, I love to check out books from the library, but I also want out Easter season to be focused on the resurrection and Jesus. Unfortunately, the library doesn’t keep many if any books with this topic on the shelves. So, I have curated our Christian Easter Books for kids collection over the years.
The Best Place to Buy Picture Books for Kids
With so many options for book buying out there, where do you even begin to look and purchase books from? My personal favorite is Thrift Books because I can accumulate points to use toward free books. You can use this link here to sign up for Thrift Books and get a free book after spending $30.
A second favorite is Book Outlet. Book Outlet has some amazing low prices on books. My preference is pre-loved books, which is why I love Thrift Books. If you are an Amazon type of person, you can also check their “used” section for books.
For ease of sharing and consistency, the books referenced in this post are linked with an Amazon Affiliate link.
Our Favorite Christian Easter Books
Easter, like Christmas, is one of those times where we can easily become distracted and pulled away from the True meaning of the Holiday. I like to keep our picture books intentional and focused. Christian Easter Picture books helps us keep Jesus and the Resurrection as the main focus of our holiday season. Today, I will share with you my favorite Easter Books for a Christ focused Easter Holiday.
- The Garden, the Curtain, and the Cross – I love this book because it explains why Jesus died for our sins from the beginning. It isn’t just a resurrection story for kids, rather a book that continually points to Jesus throughout the whole Bible.
- The Donkey Who Carried A King – The Resurrection story from the point of view of a very special donkey, Davey, that got to carry the King, Jesus, in to Jerusalem.
- The Tale of Three Trees – God makes what is meant for good come true. This book can be used to teach of the Good News God and Jesus bring us. It is also a great book to incorporate in to Christmas time, too.
- The Parable of the Lily – I love the Parable series of books. The gift of a lily bulb provides a lesson in forgiveness and grace, teaching on the true meaning of Easter.
- The Legend of the Easter Robin – The story of Jesus and the resurrection is told through the legend of the robin’s read breast. The Robin sees Jesus struggling during the crucification and the robin tries to help him.
- Twas the Morning of Easter – Glenys Nellist is one of my favorite children’s authors. I love the rhythm of Twas the Morning of Easter and the beautiful illustrations of this book. The picture book tells the Easter Story in a captivating way. We have Glenys Nellist’s Twas the Evening of Christmas and Twas the Season of Advent books.
- He’s Risen! He’s Alive! – Arch Books are those simple story books retelling stories in the bible. He’s Risen! He’s Alive! tells of the miracle of Jesus’ resurrection.
- God Gave Us Easter – I love the God Gave Us series. God Gave Us Easter is prompted with the question of where does Easter come from. We read as Papa Bear gently explains the Easter story to his cub.
- Easter Love Letters from God – Glenys Nellist is one of my favorite children’s authors. This book has a place to write the child’s name which allows him/her to open letters with words from God. It applies the Easter Story directly to the child’s life.
- J is for Jesus: An Easter Alphabet – This book is great for those children that are learning the alphabet. Letters have been a new fascination in our home, so I grabbed this book to help us keep our focus on learning letters with the theme of Easter.
- Easter Bunny, Are You for Real? – This is for the family that is attempting to explain that the Easter Bunny isn’t the real meaning of Easter. The books separates the true Easter Story, the Resurrection of Jesus, from the commercial Easter and coming of Spring. This book does not come up affordably on Amazon. I got our copy from Thrift Books.
- Poems and Prayers for Easter – This collection of poems and prayers celebrates the great themes of Easter: faith, love, hope…and all the joy of new life in springtime. I keep this book to use during our poetry tea time or mornings together.
Christian Board Books for Easter
For the family that is searching for Christian Easter Picture Books in Board Books for little kids, this list is for you. Most of these books, with the exception of a couple, come in regular hardback covers. However, I know for little readers, having a collection of Board Books is helpful for longevity. We have had several of these books, like Holy Week: An Emotions Primer, for years and they always bring excitement to our home during the Easter season. Just a note: The links below are Amazon Affiliate links. Before buying, verify that the books in your cart are Board Books. You can also check Thrift Books for these books.
- Holy Week: An Emotions Primer – I love these Baby Believer board books. The Holy Week: An Emotions Primer teaches children about emotions using examples from Holy Week and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. My favorite part of this book are the unique illustrations.
- Easter is Coming – This book tells of the excitement and joy of the coming Easter. Even in the notes of sin and death, children are reminded “Easter is coming!” and the joy that it brings.
- The Friend who Forgives – This book tells the story of Peter through beautiful words and illustrations. I love that the theme of this book is forgiveness and how Jesus forgives Peter, like he forgives us. *This book comes in a hardback version. Double check that you are purchasing the board book version.*
- Humphrey’s First Palm Sunday – Humphrey is a camel we are introduced to in the Christmas Story, Humphrey’s First Christmas. In Humphrey’s First Palm Sunday, we read about the events of Holy Week through the eyes of Humphrey, the camel. *This book comes in a hardback version. Double check that you are purchasing the board book version.*
- Jesus Rose for Me: The Real Story of Easter – This book begins with Palm Sunday and Ends with Easter. It is the general story of Easter and illustrated with bright images to capture the attention of readers.
- Good News, It’s Easter – Glenys Nellist writes Good News, It’s Easter with repetition and the Good News that the Resurrection of Jesus brings.
- Little Bible Playbook: The Story of Easter – This book is great for teaching the Easter story in a simplistic way to children. The illustrations are bright and cheerful, with simple words to share the story of Easter.
- The Tale of Three Trees – Board Book – God makes what is meant for good come true. This book can be used to teach of the Good News God and Jesus bring us. It is also a great book to incorporate in to Christmas time, too. *This book comes in a hardback version. Double check that you are purchasing the board book version.*
Christian Easter Activities for Kids
I hope you found all of these Christian Easter Picture Books helpful and choose a few for your family’s library. Our Easter Book collection has grown by a few books each year and I am delighted when I find a book to add to our library.
If you are looking for more Christian Easter Activities for your Kids, please consider joining my blog email list. I share seasonal Christian focused activities and printables for kids through my blog.