Gluten Free sourdough coffee crumb cake is one of the staple baked goods in our home. The cake is rich in flavor and moist, while the cinnamon topping has the perfect amount of sweetness.
Gluten Free Baking
I started creating gluten free recipes for our home when we figured out that our little one has a sensitivity to gluten. At first the idea of gluten free became overwhelming. How would our bake our favorite baked goods like cakes, muffins, pancakes, and whatever else we wanted to eat? Surprisingly, having a gluten free home has been fairly simple for our family to manage.
How to Make a Gluten Free Sourdough Starter
Then in 2020 when we were all balancing “quarantine life” at home, I became fascinated with creating a gluten free sourdough starter. Traditionally sourdough starters are made with traditional flour, but I was able to make a sourdough starter using gluten free flour options. If you are unsure about what the fascination is with sourdough starter, you can visit this post here where I share more about why you would even want a sourdough starter.
Anyways, I created a gluten free sourdough starter and started crafting sourdough recipes to follow. This gluten free sourdough coffee crumb cake made the list as one of our family’s favorites.
Before starting this recipe, you will want to make sure you have a sourdough starter alive and thriving. You can download my free gluten free sourdough starter guide for an instructional guide and more recipes.
If you are ready to go with your starter, make sure your starter has been fed in the last 12 hours and let’s get started! I hope you enjoy this tasty recipe from my kitchen to yours.
Gluten Free Sourdough Coffee Crumb Cake
- 1 c. sourdough starter **Fed 6-12 hours ago**
- 1/3 c. avocado oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- When combined, add in the sourdough starter, avocado oil, and egg. Stir with a spoon until moistened.
- Grease a 9” baking pan with avocado oil. Pour the batter into a 9" square baking pan and scrape the bowl.
- In the same bowl, mix the topping ingredients. Mix the cinnamon, coconut sugar, avocado oil, and coconut flour. Mix the ingredients together until they become wet looking. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the coffee cake to cool before slicing and serving