Before making my own garlic herb seasoning salt, I had no idea how easy it was to make seasonings at home using fresh ingredients. If your garden is abundantly full of herbs this season or if you are looking for a fun handmade gift to give to your friends, you are going to love this simple DIY garlic herb seasoning salt recipe.
Homesteading in a Small Space
If you are searching for ways to cultivate your own small space homestead, a small herb garden in pots is a great idea. Just about all herbs grow well in pots, some even do well inside on your window ledge. Your herb garden can then be preserved and gifted by making your own seasoning and seasoning blends.
Dried Herbs for Seasoning
You can use just about any herbs for this recipe. Some of my favorites include rosemary, parsley, cilantro, sage, basil, and chives. You can also use lavender, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and oregano for an Herbes de Provence blend. Herbes de Provence blend would be delicious in this french onion soup recipe!
Our garden is abundant in Basil this year, so this is an easy way to use up some of the basil we have growing in our garden. Have fun with your flavor combination and use what you can find or have in your garden.
How to Preserve Herbs
This Garlic herb seasoning salt is a simple way to preserve your fresh herbs for the entire year. This recipe is extremely simple. Just finely chopping herbs, garlic, and salt, and low temp drying them before packaging.
If you are looking for another way to preserve your herbs at home, you can check out this video where I show you how to dry and preserve your own rosemary. The instructions in this video can be used for just about any herbs you want to dry.
Easy DIY Culinary Gifts
Finally, if you are looking for a special way to either share the herbs from your garden or you’re looking for a handmade gift, this is an excellent option. I found the cutest little flip top containers at Hobby Lobby, but you can also find similar ones here and here. You can add some charm by adding a craft paper tag or label and some ribbon or twine.
How to Make Garlic Herb Seasoning Salt
Let me share with you the recipe, now. This recipe will make you one 2-3oz jar of seasoning salt. If you would like to make multiples, just double the recipe and use a larger baking sheet.
DIY Garlic Herb Seasoning
- food processor
- baking sheet
- glass air tight container
- 6- 8 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 cups fresh herbs *approx.* parsley, sage, rosemary, basil, thyme, chives, etc.
- 1/2 cup sea salt or pink himalayan salt
- Turn on your oven to 170˚ F
- Remove the leaves of the herbs from the stem and peel the cloves of garlic.
- Add the garlic, herbs, and salt to the food processor. Gently pulse the food processor until the salt is finely ground. You will need to stop to scrape the sides of the food processor a couple times.
- The mixture will be like a paste. Remove it from the food processor and spread it on to a cookie sheet. Spread it evenly on the sheet.
- !! turn off the oven !! and put the cookie sheet inside for 3-4 hours, flipping the mixture half way through the time.
- When the herb mixture is dry and crumbly, it is done. You want to be sure there is no moisture.
- If you would like a finer grind on your garlic herb salt, put the dry mixture back in to a dry food processor. Gently pulse until the mixture is the consistency you prefer.
- Put the garlic herb salt inside an air tight jar. Keep the jar in the pantry or where you keep your other seasonings.