Pumpkin sourdough muffins scream “hello, fall!”, even while it is still 100˚ outside. Spring and summer of 2020 have totally drug and drug on and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of cozy fall.
This recipe for pumpkin sourdough muffins is an easy, delicious way to use your gluten free sourdough starter you have created. If you don’t have a sourdough starter yet, you will want to check out this post and download my free guide to a gluten free starter. It also has other recipes inside that you can use for baking.
Sourdough Pumpkin Muffins
This recipe creates moist muffins that have so much fall flavor. Perfect for on the go snacks or a dessert after dinner. I use coconut sugar in this recipe, since coconut sugar contains other vitamins, minerals, and has a slightly slower glycemic index. Using apple juice instead of just water, gives a slightly sweeter taste as well. It is such a tasty recipe.
If you have a mini-muffin tin, you can use that too to make mini-muffins. This recipe will make about 48 mini muffins. Just cut your baking time down to 15-20 minutes.
Fall Inspired Recipes
If you are getting ready for fall and you are so inspired to start creating, you will love my recipe for homemade elderberry syrup and elderberry syrup gummy bears. Both are fun to create and excellent for the immune system during the fall and winter months. Some of my other fall inspired, pumpkin recipes include dairy free pumpkin creamer and smoked pumpkin vinaigrette.
Gluten Free Sourdough Pumpkin Muffins
- Mixing Bowl
- Muffin tin or mini muffin tin
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix I like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Gluten Free Sourdough Starter
- 1 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup apple juice or plant based milk
- Preheat your oven to 375˚ F.
- Grease a muffin tin or line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients (flour, coconut sugar, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder). Mix the ingredients until they are all combined.
- Fold in the eggs, starter, and pumpkin puree.
- When the mixture is combined, add in the avocado oil and the juice or milk.
- Fill your muffin cups 3/4 full and put in the oven.
- For standard muffins bake 20-25 muffins. For mini-muffins, bake 15-20 minutes. Be sure that a when a toothpick is inserted, it comes out clean.
- Let your muffins cool before enjoying!
8 thoughts on “Pumpkin Sourdough Muffins – Gluten and Dairy Free”
The batter for these muffins was too thin I ended up needing to add more flour. I only added the cinnamon. I also subbed 2 tbsp coconut yogurt for eggs. These tasted great i will make them again for sure.
I am so sorry, Natasha. That’s because there was a typo in the recipe for the amount of flour. It should have read 1 1/2 cups, not 1/2 cups. Thank you for trying again and being so positive with your comment.
Fantastic!! I only had chocolate protein plant-based milk. I added some chocolate chips as well because I like chocolate! These are amazing! Thank you for the recipe!!
I made these muffins and I used half whole wheat and half unbleached white flour. I also added 1/2 cup currants and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. I used olive oil cause that’s what I had. They’re so delicious. My husband loves them and said that they’re better than anything you buy in a bakery. So, this obviously is becoming a favorite at our home. Thank you!
These were delish, so fluffy. I just did 12 regular muffins. Did 1/2 cup almond flour, 1 cup gf flour mix.
Thank you endlessly for this recipe! We approve 100% and are so grateful to you for creating it. ❤️ Angie
Just made these muffins. They came out so good. I used coconut sugar, sprouted spelt flour and brown rice flour. The house smelled so good with all the spices. Thank you! These will become our fall favorites for breakfast !
I did 12 regular muffins and holy cow the rise on these babies! Incredible! I used Namaste’s organic perfect flour blend and they turned out sooo fluffy, soft, and delicious. I’m so happy they’re not super sweet either. Perfect for breakfast and a totally guilt free food for littles. Thank you so much!