Pumpkin pie is the ultimate fall indulgence, but usually pumpkin pie has a lurking dairy or gluten ingredient somewhere. For the last 6 years our home has been dairy free. For 3 years of that timeframe, we would indulge on the dairy filled pumpkin pie during our holiday gatherings. It left us feeling uncomfortable, sick, and inflamed.
Simple to Make Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie
3 years ago I decided there had to be an alternative and our dairy free pie was born. It is rich, creamy, and even better than the store bought stuff. In the last 2 years, we discovered our little one had an allergy to gluten. So, naturally a gluten free crust was a must and not too difficult to find.
Using a pre-made gluten and dairy free crust and a few other simple ingredients, a dairy free and gluten free pie can be yours to enjoy during the holidays.
How to Make Pumpkin Puree
This recipe calls for pumpkin puree. You can used canned pumpkin puree or you can make your own pumpkin puree using a small pie or sugar pumpkin and your Instant Pot. I shared this video with instructions on how to make your own. You can use homemade puree to make all kinds of pumpkin recipes like pumpkin sourdough muffins!
A note, I have tired to make this pie with a flax egg in an attempt to make a vegan version. The pie turned out gummy tasting and never really set up properly. This year I will be attempting and tweaking again, but as of now I do not have a vegan alternative for this pie. If you try something different and it works out, let me know. I would love to find a vegan option for our vegan friends!
Dairy and Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Dairy and Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
- 1 pre-made gluten & dairy free pie crust **I like Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free crust. We get it at Sprouts**
- 1 can 15 oz. pumpkin puree or 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canned coconut cream or coconut milk **only ingredient should be coconut
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp creamy almond butter or creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the filling until completely smooth & combined.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. I like the Wholly Gluten Free frozen pie crusts from Wholly Wholesome.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the the center of the pie doesn't jiggle)
- Let cool for at least two hours to set