Salt Dough is one of our favorite things to make and use to create during the different holidays. This year for Valentine’s Day, we created Salt Dough Valentine’s Day cookies to use in my little one’s play kitchen. Salt dough is so simple to make and with a little acrylic paint, you can create your own Valentine’s Day cookies for your play kitchen or to give to friends.
How to make salt dough
Salt dough is made using flour, water, and salt. If I am honest, I pick up these ingredients up using a Target drive up order. I have shared a super simple recipe with you below!
Simply mix the flour, salt, and water together using the instructions I have shared below. You will want to roll out your salt dough and use cookie cutters to create the shapes you desire. Here are some heart cookie cutters you can use with different sizes. For Valentine’s Day, we chose to use heart cookie cutters. I also made us a few salt dough pretzels to use in our play kitchen.
If you have a play kitchen and you are looking to add some excitement this Valentine’s Day, you will want to check out the Valentine’s Day Bakery Printable I have created for you!
Creating Play Food with Salt Dough
After rolling out, cutting, and baking your salt dough, you will want to paint your creations. I stuck with traditional Valentine’s Day colors for painting. I used red, pink, and pearl white acrylic paint to paint our salt dough to look like cookies. You can also glue on glitter, felt, or sequins if you are looking to add extra sparkle to your play food. You can choose to seal the paint with a varnish, if you would like. I personally chose to just leave the acrylic paint as is, without any varnish.
What I love about creating pretend food with salt dough is, I am not worried if something gets broken, lost, or needs to be replaced. Salt dough is so inexpensive to make and it is fun to create with.
Simple Salt Dough Recipe
You will want to gather your ingredients, simple flour, cheap salt, and you will be using water. Also, gather your supplies to make your salt dough. You will need a rolling pin, parchment paper, baking sheet, cookie cutters, paint, and brushes.
I hope you find this recipe simple and this Valentine’s Day Craft fun to do!
If you love this post, you will love my other ideas, which include free printables as well!
Salt Dough Valentine’s Day Pretend Cookies
- Mixing Bowl
- baking sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Acrylic Paint and Paint Brushes
- 2 cups flour +more for rolling out
- 1 cup salt
- 3/4-1 cup warm water
- mix your ingredients together, starting with 3/4 c water. *Slowly* add more water if dough is too dry. Mix in to a ball and let sit for about 5 minutes to settle
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your over to 250° F
- Roll out the dough approximately 1/4” thick. I find it easier to roll dough on parchment paper or floured surface.
- Using a cookie cuter, cut out the shapes you would like for your salt dough and place them on the baking sheet.
- Use the scraps to create a new ball of dough and repeat until all of the dough is used.
- Bake the salt dough ornaments on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 45-60 minutes. Bake time will be different depending on size. You’ll know they are done baking when they look dry and they feel hard.
- Let them dry and paint to look like cookies!